PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
We are looking for data literate, bright and creative people with a hands-on mentality and technical skills to join our team.
As a volunteer, you will be part of a project team that is working on the development of a digital system that facilitates an innovative way of delivering humanitarian aid through cash. Your work will be part of the design process and will therefore directly impact the final product and implementation.
You will be part of team meetings and design sessions, will work closely together will all team members and report to the systems architect. We therefore ask you to be able to come to our office in the Hague at least 1 day a week.
510 is a self-organizing data innovation initiative of the Netherlands Red Cross. Our vision is that smart use of (big) data will help towards faster and more (cost) effective humanitarian aid at a global level. Contributing to open data, data analyses and capacity building in governments and NGOs is essential to increase the understanding of humanitarian data. We want to shape the future of humanitarian aid by converting data into understanding, and to put it in the hands of humanitarian relief workers, decision makers and people affected so that they can better prepare for and cope with disasters and crises.
The 510 initiative was established early 2016 and has grown since into a team of 50 core and project staff, graduates, students, trainees and volunteer data experts with diverse backgrounds. We often work together and support each other when needed. The team is developing data and digital solutions for both international and domestic humanitarian aid. Our main results are published on 510.global.
We work in virtual teams using a fully digital collaboration environment, which enables us to bridge time differences and physical distances and to continuously work together on some of the most difficult humanitarian challenges. However, we also greatly value the opportunity to work together in a face-to-face setting, which is possible in our office in The Hague.
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: 121
A people centric and collaborative future for humanitarian aid through cash.
The widening gap between needs and capacity shows a clear need for more cost-effective solutions in the humanitarian sector. For this reason, the humanitarian world is undergoing a transformation in the way that aid is delivered. Cash Based Assistance (CBA) is increasingly used instead of – or in combination with – traditional means of providing in-kind assistance to those in need. 510 is researching the potential of a digital system to improve current Cash Based Assistance programs.
We believe that in a digitally networked society, humanitarian aid can be more people-centric, more localized, more collaborative and more cost-effective. That is why we aim to develop a system that facilitates optimized and responsible aid delivery through digital networks: from human to human.
This system can be used to transfer money faster to those affected in a disaster area. With this money, people affected can purchase necessities like food, water and other relief goods. This offers a more efficient and dignified way of delivering aid, empowers people in need and fosters local economies.
• Writing business logic code and APIs.
• Conduct code review sessions.
• Writing unit tests and debugging.
• Testing code modules against requirements.
• Testing front end integration with the back-end.
• Writing code documentations.
• Analytical thinking and problem solving skills.
• A proven track record of successful implementation of backend and RESTFul APIs.
• Proficiency in business analysis and business logic code.
• Experience implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests.
• Deep knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments.
• Proven experience in backend development languages including NodeJS, .NET core and python.
• Proficiency with Git, SQL and NoSQL databases.
• Excellent verbal and written communication in English.
• Experience with Blockchains, Cryptocurrencies and smart contracts.
• Experience in cryptography and encryption.
• Experience with distributed systems development and design.
• A good Experience with Docker containers.
For more information or to submit your motivation and CV: