WE ARE LOOKING FOR TWO INTERNS
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) launched the Federation-wide Databank and Reporting System to share data about Red Cross National Societies from all over the world. With this system, the IFRC aims to connect the +165K local units and millions of volunteers that are part of the Global Red Cross Movement. This data will enhance the knowledge of local capacity by collecting information on the location, resources and reach of each National Society and its local branches. Sharing this data will help the Red Cross network to better inform resilience programming, disaster response and early recovery while also design programs and services based on input from local communities.
Transforming this data into insights will provide an opportunity to look into a “day in the life” of a specific Red Cross unit. Imagine a local branch in Nepal. What are the volunteer activities? What are some of their best practices? And how can others learn from them? The goal of this project is to create a way for both global and local Red Cross actors to connect and share information about their activities and programs.
The project will start by geolocating local branches on the lowest admin boundaries (i.e. district or village level) and will continue to add more information about their resources and reach. To do so, you will use machine learning algorithms and text mining techniques to find and scrape data already available on the web (National Societies’ websites, OpenStreetMap, social media etc.). You will work directly with the Technical Project Lead.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Automatize the extraction of data on Red Cross branches (e.g. location, contact information) from websites
- Index and analyse this data
- Explore how to organize, aggregate and/or summarize more complex data, e.g. social media posts
- Data analysis
- Natural Language Processing (preferred)
- Web scraping: HTML, XPath and/or CSS Locators, spiders (preferred)
- Familiarity with GIS (preferred)
- Can work well in a team
- Good communication with project manager and other stakeholders
- Documenting and reporting
- Start 1st of May
- 24 / 32 hours a week
- Ability to work at least 2 days a week at our office in the Hague
- €350 a month (based on a fulltime work week) + travel reimbursement
WANT TO DO YOUR INTERNSHIP WITH US?