WHAT IS THE IBF SYSTEM
The Impact Based Forecasting System (IBF) displays and disseminates early warning notifications for an incoming disaster. It visualizes relevant information to support disaster managers in decision making following the country early action protocol.
It contains 3 main elements
- Trigger model
- Data storage & Interfaces to forecast data
- Visualization dashboard (1)
WHY IT IS NEEDED
Damage, suffering and the cost of emergency aid will reduce when communities are capable of responding proactively to a disaster through early warning and early action. With this system, disaster managers can trigger early actions for multiple hazard FbF protocols.
WHAT DOES IT DO
The IBF system supports the triggers for multiple hazards & is currently being deployed with the support of 510 in the following 8 countries:
- Zambia (Riverine floods & Droughts)
- Kenya (Riverine Floods & Droughts)
- Uganda (Riverine Floods & Droughts)
- Ethiopia (Riverine Floods & Droughts)
- Philippines (Typhoons)
- Malawi (Riverine Floods)
- Zimbabwe (Droughts)
- Egypt (Rainfall induced floods)
WHAT MODELS HAVE WE BUILT SO FAR
WHAT OTHER WORK SUPPORTS THE CREATION OF THE IBF SYSTEM?
Below are other areas of expertise needed to create the system.