An early warning system focuses on reliable information and fluent communications at all levels. When building an early warning system:
- the risks and critical situations are identified to which it is possible to respond in advance
- a warning system is created in cooperation with the authorities, and tasks and responsibilities are agreed
- existing local networks that can both receive the warning and distribute it further are utilised
- a warning system from the village level to higher levels is also developed
- people are trained to act when they receive a warning. Such training must also observe special risk groups, such as the elderly or disabled people.